Friday, November 26, 2010

Christmas Tree Lighting

Last Tuesday we went to Camana Bay's Christmas Tree Lighting with Nate and Jenn. We got there a little late and were lucky they saved us seats. We had no idea how crowded it would be! Here's what I'm learning about Grand Cayman - if something out of the norm is going on, people will come out in hordes to see it.

The evening started with carols sung by a couple different choirs.


The tree had huge silver ornaments - I couldn't resist turning around to capture the crowd's reflection:


Brent and I in front of the tree (further evidence that I should not attempt to wear my hair down on this island)



Here it is all lit up (picture actually taken from a distance as we were leaving)


It was funny because the guy on the microphone did a long, drawn-out countdown for Santa to turn on the switch, but then at "zero" nothing happened. Something about waiting for the electrical current to reach the tree? It probably took a minute after the countdown for the lights to come on. A little anti-climatic if you ask me...


Fake snow (really only visible in the street lights)


We met up with Jeremy, Sheena, and Wes after the show. Haagen-Dazs was having a promotion - buy two scoops get one free! I got Banoffee, Cappuccino Caramel Truffle, and Baileys Irish Cream. More ice cream than anyone would ever need to eat, but I loved it all. Deal goes through November, Cayman residents!

6 comments:

  1. awww. how magical! i love it! we were a few weeks short of seeing island holiday loveliness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you so much. You write the best blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. I love the big pictures on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your hair looks great, especially in that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome photo of the crowd's reflection in the ornament!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lighting is the one of the most amazing parts of the Christmas season. I have read many articles and posts on the Cayman Islands during Christmas season and believe me that should be best time to visit here. I also loved Cayman Tattoo posts, which I read recently.

    ReplyDelete